Be honest. When the game is over, you run to the stat sheet to see how many points you got, don’t you? I knew it. Maybe I shouldn’t tell you this, but you are right to do this!
Because unfortunately, people will evaluate you game based on your production (I think this is not an accurate way to assess your productivity, but that’s the way it is).
BACK TO YOU!
Be honest again. When you don’t get the ball in offense or don’t get shots up, you start panicking right?
Then you finally get the ball, and take a difficult shot or try a difficult pass because you want points or assist right?
Been there, done that so I understand you… BUT GUESS WHAT?
This mindset is KILLING YOUR GAME! If you keep playing like that, you will look like a clown on the court!
Now here’s the secret!
Play with aggressiveness, effort, and energy. YES, THAT’S IT!
Let me explain.
When you play with a burning desire to win, YOU WILL INSTINCTIVELY DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO WIN.
- When there will be a loose ball – you’ll get it (that’s called a steal)
- When you’ll get a shot – you’ll shoot to help you team win as opposed to just get points. And you’ll make more shots!
- You’ll crash the board offensively and get put backs
- You won’t even think about nonsense like the coach yelling at you, your opponents talking trash, your bumped knee… All you’ll have in mind is winning
The list goes on.
When you play with THE COMPETITIVE EDGE, you end up having Ws on most nights, and (not surprisingly) AMAZING STATS regardless of:
- Your position
- If you get the ball a lot or not
Try this for the next few weeks please!!!
If you appreciate the article, make sure you leave a comment below.